Packing=one of the most painful things you can make me do. I travel less than my friends (I hate them i.e. Turkey, Greece, Japan), but enough that packing haunts me. Trips between 2-5 days are the worst especially where my activities are all over the board–from West Coast camping to a bad@ss weekend in Vegas.
To appease the TSA’s penchant for safety and my neurosis to travel light, I spend HOURS decanting my liquids into tiny containers/figuring out which product samples to bring. When the trip is over, I struggle with what to do with leftovers. The result has been drawers of partly used “saving them for the next trip” products. What brings me joy and relief? Products that:
- are small and light,
- have enough product for regular use and on the go,
- have costs proportional to/worth their sizes,
- have multiple uses (bang that buck),
- you love enough to want to spend a lot of time with and blog about,
- and ok…are aesthetically pleasing.
EVE LOM’s facial cleanser is what I’m talking about. It is perfect for men and women (relevant translation: men, you will not smell like fruit or flowers). It’s a balm, and if you have the time to do a muslin cloth multi-step ritual, officially dual-use it as an exfoliator. Also handles waterproof makeup like it ain’t a big deal. Doesn’t foam, melts like butter.
The DL (down low):
1. It works. Apparently, it is award-winning and Vogue has blessed it.
I speculate the effectiveness comes down to high school science “like attracts like”–oil likes oil, oil dislikes water. The balm cleanser contains Egyptian Chamomile Oil (softens and soothes skin), Eucalyptus Oil (decongests for radiant skin), Clove Oil (antibacterial effect for clear skin), Hops Oil (tones the skin). Once on your face, the balm oil component attracts/draws out your pore oil. The balm oil benefits can then absorb through the pores into your skin. So, I really massage it in and sometimes wait before rinsing it off (i.e. while do chores). When you rinse your face (warm water opens up pores), the balm+pore oil rinse away. Then, cool water helps close your pores.
*****If you foresee never having the time/discipline for a skin ritual, skip this section. According to Sephora, my wiki for beauty products:
- Apply once a day, at night, for normal/dry skin types and twice a day, morning and night, for congested skins.
- Massage a small amount onto the face and neck onto dry skin over the grime and makeup from the day.
- Fill a basin with hot water and immerse the Muslin Cloth. (<–BTB thinks you could substitute with a soft towel, etc)
- Squeeze off excess water and hold the cloth over the face and neck for a few seconds while taking a deep breath.
- The heat will soften the skin and open the pores allowing the aromatic oils to cleanse the skin of impurities. For optimum results repeat this stage three times.
- Fold the hot, rinsed cloth into a square and work it in small circular movements across the face and neck to remove all traces of Cleanser and makeup.
- The Muslin Cloth will gently exfoliate the skin surface and encourage healthy blood circulation, leaving the skin feeling exceptionally smooth.
- Rinse the cloth in cool water and hold over the face and neck. This helps close the pores, giving the skin a more even, toned appearance. It also leaves the skin feeling fresh and ultra clean.*****
2. Eve Lom’s balm is small and light. Great for travel and on the go (i.e. gym/work/etc). The 1 oz size weighs ~2 oz w/dimensions ~2″x2″. For TSA purposes, is this really a liquid? I don’t know. Even if it is, this size is in the clear.
3. Good amount of product. A little goes a long way.
That’s how much I use. I expect the lifetime measurement of this 1 oz size to be in months. I like to mix up my skin routine (don’t judge, I have awesome skin), but this balm is one of my constants. I use it once almost every day. Whether it is a time/discipline issue, probably both, I do not perform the exfoliation ritual.
4. Because of #3, the cost is not killing me. It also has dual purposes. Sephora sells the 1.6 0z for $50, 3.3 oz for $80, and 6.8 oz for $135. Again, don’t judge, but I purchased the 1 oz size for $25 on eBay. eBay is my go-to when I want to try something out of the drugstore $ range. HOWEVER, I love i.e. Sephora because you are 100% sure everything is authentic and fresh. And, if you try it but don’t like it, you can return it. I didn’t know where to write this because I love the product and understand the aromatherapy value, but the smell may or may not remind one of
Bengay…ok…Bengay. I’ve grown to like the scent…it’s just unexpected.
5. I love it. Please see #1-4, #6. I’m actually about to wash my face with it, pending the end of this blog entry.
6. I love the packaging…design and use. It’s simple, easy/secure to open and close, and you can easily get out every bit of product.
If you have the urge to Google this cleanser, as I would, click here (opens a new window).
Brain Trust Babe